It is important to give your child healthy high calorie foods. Many parents are resistant about giving their children foods high in saturated fat because they fear they are setting up their underweight children for a future with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.
Although these are valid concerns, if your child has failure to thrive and needs to gain weight, calorie boosters and high calorie foods are very important. The following list of foods will help your child achieve weight gain while not sacrificing the quality of his diet.
1. Olive oil- Cook with it, add it to foods, put it on bread or vegetables. Olive oil should be used frequently and generously as a healthy way to help your child gain weight.
2. Nut butters- As long as your child is old enough, does not have swallowing problems and does not have allergies, nut butters such as peanut, almond or soy nut are high in calories and unsaturated fat. It can be used on crackers, bread, fruit or pretzels.
3. Avocado/Guacamole- Another great source of fat and calories, 1 whole avocado has a whopping 280 calories and 26 grams of unsaturated fat. Avocado can be added to soups, sandwiches and pureed foods, as well as a dip for vegetables and chips.
4. Granola bars- A great snack for underweight kids, these are full of calories and fat to pack on the pounds. Check the labels though, none of that low fat, low calorie granola for your child!
5. Hummus- Pureed chickpeas and oil, hummus is a great source of fiber, calories and fat. Add it to pureed foods for a thick, smooth consistency; eat it plain or with chips and crackers.
6. Nonfat skim milk powder- Add this to all foods for additional calories. As the name states, it is nonfat, but contains protein and crabs.
8. Eggs- Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol, but kids need cholesterol and the pros of eggs far outweigh the cons. They are high in protein and pack a nutritional punch, containing many vitamins and minerals.
These are just a few healthy high calorie foods. If you have one you use with your child, share it with us!
Share your child's favorite healthy high calorie food!
Do you have a healthy food your child loves? Share it with us!
Do you have a healthy high calorie food your child loves? Share it!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...